Members Present: Mayor Hallum, Council members Dahl, Honsey, Bunke, Colbenson
Following the Pledge of Allegiance, Mayor Hallum called the regular meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Motion by Bunke seconded by Honsey to approve the agenda as presented with the addition of acceptance of the resignation of an EDA member. Upon roll call all voted aye.
Motion by Honsey seconded by Dahl to approve the minutes of October 22, 2012, meeting as presented. Upon roll call all voted aye.
Motion by Dahl seconded by Colbenson to approve the minutes of the special November 3, 2012 strategic planning meeting. Upon roll call all voted aye.
The Mayor asked if there were any citizens wishing to be heard with Beverly Hansen Paulsen thanking Mr. Colbenson for the beautiful flower baskets this past summer.
The following communications were received:
· Request from Associated Bank and Rushford Area Chamber of Commerce for volunteer workers for the December 8th Annual Parade of Lights
· Historic Bluff Country hosted a Job Fair, Tues, Nov 6th with over 20 people attending and hopefully they can hold the event on a regular basis
· Support Semcac's "Give to the Max Day" November 15th and make the power of your donation stretch even further
· Notification from Fillmore County Zoning Office regarding public hearings on proposed amendments to the County Zoning Ordinance related to Excavation and Mining of Construction Materials; Excavation and Mining of Industrial Minerals and Metals
· Monthly newsletter from the EDA Center, University of Minnesota
Motion by Dahl seconded by Honsey to approve the consent agenda consisting of the following:
· Approval of list of bills paid and to be paid along with accompanying fund summary report for period ending 11/13/12.
· Approval of the Financial Statement and Investment Report.
· Approval of October Police Dept. revenue and expense report.
· Approval of October Police Dept. activity report.
· Approval of Public Works overtime/banked hours report.
· Approval of Utilities Fund Recap Report.
Upon roll call all voted aye.
At the recent strategic planning sessions discussion was held on a mission statement as follows: "The Mission of the City of Rushford is to enhance, promote and protect the quality of life for all Rushford citizens and to provide municipal services in a cost-effective, innovative, professional manner for all who live, work or visit here." Motion by Honsey seconded by Dahl to officially adopt the mission statement as discussed. Bunke noted this should now be used as a marketing tool when and where possible. Upon roll call all voted aye.
Chief of Police Adam Eide was present at the meeting to discuss adding three persons to the department on a part-time basis as needed or scheduled during the absence of full-time staff. Three individuals are completing the background, training and licensing required and will complete in-house training prior to working on their own. All three have completed their basic schooling and are eligible to be POST certified. Motion by Bunke seconded by Honsey to accept Chief Eide's recommendation and proceed with the hiring process for Derek Ellis, Ryan Quanrud and Sheldon Haedtke. Upon roll call all voted aye.
Discussion was held on various courses of action to address the excess deer population in the City limits. Several ordinances were reviewed from other cities with Council member Bunke stating the priority needs to be safety. Due to the close proximity to homes, people on the bluff or walking the trails the only method would be archery and there would need to be rules and regulations for that as well. State laws will still apply and the ordinance could only apply to public property. Chief Eide suggested discussions be held with the DNR regarding the deer population and their recommendations. Further research will be conducted and brought back to the council for review.
Notification was given that Phil Gaddis wished to resign from serving on the Economic Development Authority due to his work conflicting with attending meetings on a regular basis. Motion by Bunke seconded by Dahl to accept Gaddis' resignation and thank him for his service to the City. The process to fill his position will include postings and advertising for interested persons to apply. Upon roll call all voted aye.
The next Tri-City Planning Committee meeting will be held January 23, 2012.
Council members were reminded the meetings in December will be held on the 10th and 17th.
Council member Bunke reported the DNR will be providing funding for the Bluff Country ATV Club which is starting the trail in Yucatan Valley and eventually hopes to come to this direction.
Motion by Bunke seconded by Colbenson that the meeting adjourn at approximately 7:30 p.m. Upon roll call all voted aye.
November 13, 2012 meeting minutes
Submitted by: Kathy Zacher, City Clerk/Treas.
(The above minutes of the Rushford City Council are in abbreviated form and are not official. Anyone wishing to view the official minutes may do so at the Rushford City Hall.) 19